Imagine fantastic hiking, historic cities, friendly people, unspoilt beaches and music everywhere you go and Cuba will not disappoint. This irresistible walking holiday in Cuba takes you from the night clubs of Havana to the most spectacular landscapes and the finest unspoilt beaches you can imagine.
As well as plenty of walking in areas such as the Tobacco Valley, Coco So lo Palmarito and around Trinidad, the holiday will take in many aspects of the country's history and culture along the way.
This walking holiday in Cuba has been designed to allow every guest the opportunity to enjoy Cuba in the way that suits them. There are beautiful hikes through stunning countryside, and for those who wish to take it a little easier, one can simply take a day off from walking and relax on the beach or explore the beautiful town and its surrounding area.
You arrive in Havana, where you get the opportunity to see this vibrant, magnificent city, and from there we head to the picturesque Vinales Valley, which gives us the chance to enjoy some amazing hikes. Later on we drive to Soroa and explore this beautiful region and learn of its interesting history and culture. Later on we head to Trinidad, a highlight of the trip. Trinidad is a wonderful area with lovely tropical beaches, amazing walks and great nightlife.
Highlights of your walking holiday include a trip to the famous orchid gardens at Soroa, walks amongst the limestone karsts of the Vinales Valley, experiencing the colonial grandeur of Trinidad, swimming and snorkeling on the beautiful Caribbean island of Cayo Macho, and a walk through the old slave plantation at Codina, which is now a natural park.
Sample Itinerary (subject to variation)
- Day 1 - Depart UK and arrive in Havana.
- Day 2 - Morning tour of Havana. Afternoon 2 hour excursion in old American car. Evening options include: visit to Tropicana, visit to Teatro Central, visit to Buena Vista Social Club.
- Day 3 — Drive through the Vinales Valley, a picturesque region with small farms and villages. Free afternoon for exploration. Visit to Cueva del Indio cave complex or traditional Cuban town.
- Day 4 - Leisurely walk in the Tobacco Valley, giving you a fascinating insight into Cuban rural life. Visit a tobacco farm, learn about making Cuban cigars, taste home-grown coffee, walk through rural countryside, see age-old agricultural techniques, enjoy an authentic Piña Colada and enjoy local rum!
- Day 5 - Walk from Viñales town through farmland, up dry river bed to the homestead of Los Aquaticos, descendants of water healers. Enjoy coffee at the farm before returning to Viñales via a circular route.
- Day 6 - Visit to Orchid Garden at Soroa and climb the Mirador de Soroa. Chance to walk down to a local waterfall and swimming hole or climb to the top of a mogote with incredible views.
- Day 7 - Soroa. 8 km walk (approx 5-6 hours) through the mountains with local guide. Lunch at Rey Paladar (cost is not included, but is approx. $5). Alternative: relax beside the pool.
- Day 8 - Soroa. Walk with a local guide, with much information about flora, fauna and local history. Lunch at traditional forest house (cost not included) Alternative: relax beside the pool.
- Day 9 - Trinidad. Afternoon City Tour of Trinidad (included).
- Day 10 - Hacienda Codina Tour. Includes coffee tasting in Topes, walk by foot into the mountains (about 3-4 hours) and includes a visit to the open cave of La Barata where you can swim, walk or climb to several small waterfalls. Traditional lunch at Hacienda Codina (included), followed by visit to a local orchid garden and a bamboo garden
- Day 11 – Day tour by Catamaran to the Caribbean island of Cayo Blanco. Relax on the beach or try snorkeling on the beautiful coral reef. Barbecue lunch included.
- Day 12 - Free day to explore Trinidad, relax on the beach or laze by the pool. Alternative: optional excursion to Santa Clara to see Che's Mausoleum. Price minimum 4 persons $35 per person (lunch not included).
- Day 13 - El Cubano (5 km from Trinidad) with a ranchon style restaurant that specialises in pez gato (catfish). Visit a fish farm and a hike to a waterfall. Horseback riding is also available. Lunch included.
- Day 14 - Return to Havana. Stop on journey at Cienfuegos to enjoy a 2 hour city tour.
- Day 15 - Morning visit to the Museo de la Revolucion (optional £5). Afternoon: return to the UK
- Day 16 - Arrive in the UK
This walking vacation gives you the perfect opportunity to see a great part of Cuba, to learn of its history and culture, and to walk amongst its amazing beauty.
Come and join us on this walking holiday in Cuba - An unforgettable journey!
Dates and Prices
Walking Holiday in Cuba Dates and Prices
Guided Walking Holiday in Cuba (16 Days)
- Please enquire for 2019 dates and prices
- Airport Transfers.
- All accommodation with breakfast.
- Other meals where indicated.
- All transportation between locations by air conditioned bus.
- The services of an English speaking guide throughout the trip.
- The additional services of a walking guide or tour guide where indicated.
What’s Not Included
- Optional excursions.
- Lunches and evening meals (except where specified) – please estimate $35 per person per day for food.
- We can offer flights from other UK airports. Please use the enquire now form to contact us for more details.
Above is a map indicating the places that you will visit on your Walking Holiday in Cuba. As you see we get the opportunity to see a great part of this amazing and beautiful country. We are sure that you will love the routes we walk, the sights that we see, and the people that we meet on our walking vacation in Cuba.
As you can imagine, a country as beautiful and vibrant as Cuba is a popular holiday destination so unfortunately the number of hotel rooms sometimes exceed demand. Occasionally hotels will cancel bookings at the last minute, but they will always find alternative accommodation for the group. Sometimes this will be in in nearby towns or in local private houses with bed and breakfast. Overbooking such as this affects all tour operators to Cuba and you should be aware of this because it may effect your trip.
On our Cuban walking holidays your overnight stays will always be in clean and comfortable accommodation as we travel across the country.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. We are a little concerned that we are not very fit. Are there options if we want to miss out on any of the more strenuous hikes?
A. All the walks are easy to moderate. If you do not wish to walk, there is always the option to relax by the pool in Soroa, Vinales and Trinidad or to go to the beach in Trinidad. You can decide what you might wish to do on the day.
Q. Do I need a visa to visit Cuba?
A. You will need a visa to visit Cuba. These are available from your Cuban Embassy (in the UK the embassy is in London).
Q. I will be traveling alone. Will the Walking Holiday in Cuba be in a group, and if so, how many people?
A. Our Cuba Walking Holidays are group holidays (with a minimum 10 people).
Q. Will I have my own single accommodation?
A. Single accommodation is available at a single supplement of £95 for the entire holiday.
Q. Do I have to travel from London Gatwick?
A. We can arrange flights from a range of airports including Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Newcastle, Dublin & Belfast. Please use the enquire now form to request more information and prices.
“Just a quick note to thank you for the great holiday in Cuba. For us there were a number of highlights. The car trip in Havana, staying in the Casas, the walks in Soroa and Vinales, visiting Santa Clara and meeting the Cubans. Most of all we liked the variety of what you showed us and appreciated the choices.”
Briad & Paul McCallion
“I enjoyed the programme, particularly the Vinales walk with Alexis; the walk to Sixto’s farm and swimming in a waterfall pool.”
“We enjoyed the programme very much. We enjoyed meeting the friendly tour guides, we enjoyed ‘the farm’ experience, particularly. Also our time on Ancon Beach.”
Bill & Val Harkness
“I enjoyed the walks and the spectacular countryside around Vinales.”
“I enjoyed the sun, scenery and the excellent company.”
“We loved seeing the real Cuba – loved Vinales. Friendly people.”
Tom, Paul & Mike
“I enjoyed most the Vinales farm walks, reef swimming, Soroan hill walk and the rest of the group. Also sitting by the harbour in Havana, salsa in Trinidad and moving around with a good guide. All great value.”