Everybody knows that getting any kind of exercise is good for you. According to Doctor Mike Evans who specializes in preventive medicine, the number one best exercise that you can get to prevent many health conditions, and even to prolong your life by as much as three years, is walking. With this in mind, why not turn your next holiday into an enjoyable and healthy experience where you can relax while getting a bit fitter, marveling at beautiful locations and meeting new people?
Here is a list of some of the benefits of arranging a walking holiday via Awaken Holidays.
1) Saves Time: Time is precious so why should you spend yours organizing a trip when someone else can do it for you? By enquiring on a walking holiday with us, the tour provider will arrange everything from accommodations to routes and maps, and all you have to do is select the dates and location and pack your bags when you are ready to go.
2) Visit Beautiful Places: We all have a favourite place where we like to spend our holidays, but what about trying something new? With a walking holiday you are guaranteed to visit some stunning destinations and experience them “first-hand” while walking through them and physically feeling the nature around you.
3) Meet New People: When traveling, most people tend to do it with a group of close friends. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but many of the holiday providers we work with encourage people from all backgrounds to join together on a walking holiday. You are sure to meet some amazing like-minded people and create friendships for life.
Are you convinced yet? If so, and you have already booked your walking holiday, here is what you need to do to prepare for your walking vacation and enjoy it the most:
1) Get In Shape: Walking is something that most of us take for granted and find easy to do, but when you have to do a lot of it, and at times on rougher terrains, you might discover that you are not as fit as you thought you were. For most walking holidays, visiting the gym one or two months in advance, doing some basic weight training and some extra walking every day will get you in the right shape for your walking vacation. If you are going on a more advanced walking holiday, one that is perhaps combined with hiking or even climbing, you might want to start earlier. Consult your holiday provider for advice as to how to get in shape on time.
2) Bring Comfortable, Durable Shoes: Your shoes are what connects you to the ground, so you always want them to be comfortable, and when you are going to be walking long distances their importance becomes even greater, so really take your time in finding the perfect foot wear.
3) Don't forget the essentials: From our experience, the things you should never forget to pack are:
- Sun cream
- Energy snacks
- Bug repellent
- Medication (anything that you need to take regularly or that's been prescribed to you by your doctor)
Have a lovely trip!
You may view all of our walking and hiking holidays by looking at our Walking Holidays Category.